School of the Prophets - Lesson 01
by Dr. Ray Self
School of the Prophets
Click Play in the video player window and follow along on the class notes below.
1 Corinthians 14:1 Follow after love; yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. -- American Standard
This course is designed to teach on various aspects of prophetic ministry. We will look at the comprehensive work of prophetic ministry by covering different methods of prophetic ministry as well as the revelation needed to minister affectively with the gift of prophecy. We are commanded by Scripture to desire and covet this gift. There is nothing more important than hearing what God has to say and then being obedient by speaking and doing what He commands. Ministering in the prophetic requires standing in the counsel of God and receiving His instructions and then following them by proclaiming His truth and powerful and faithful ways. The purpose of this course is to give the student greater understanding of the prophetic gift and teach them how to flow with the Holy Spirit and use this gift correctly in the ministry of Jesus Christ.
The Three Categories of Gifts:
The Five-Fold Ministry Gifts - Ephesians 4:11 - And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
- Given by Jesus
- Offices, not Gifting
- Church Leadership
- Only Approx 5% of the Body of Christ
- Probably called to the office out of the womb, but answering, equipping and maturing comes later.
The Manifestation Gifts - 1 Cor. 12: 7-10 - But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
- Manifestation means “to give evidence of.”
- Given by the Holy Spirit
- They are for the good of the body of Christ
- They are to be earnestly desired by all believers
- Not owned individually
- Satan will try to counterfeit them
- They can be stirred up - 2 Timothy 1:6 - Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.
- They are not to be neglected – 1 Timothy 4:14 - Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery
The Motivational Gifts - Romans 12:4-8 - For as in one body we have many members, and all the members do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; he who teaches, in his teaching; he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who contributes, in liberality; he who gives aid, with zeal; he who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.
- Given by the Father
- These are natural characteristic that can be seen even in childhood
- Everyone has one primary gift and other gifts not as strong
- These gifts are owned by us because they are our God-give nature
This course will focus on the manifestation gift of prophecy.
What the gift of prophecy is:
- It is to be desired and coveted by all Christians
- It is the voice of God
- It can be dreams
- It can be visions
- It can be impressions
- It can be exact words
- It is very powerful when used correctly
- It can change lives and have creative power
- It always glorifies Jesus Christ and builds His kingdom
- It edifies comforts and exhorts believers
- It can convict an unbeliever
- It can be imparted and activated
- It can be learned and stirred
- It is for the common good
- It is to be operated in love
What it is not:
- It is not psychic powers
- It is not fortune-telling
- It is not for manipulation or control
- It is not for personal gain
- It is not to bring attention to the minister
- It is not to be weird or flaky
- It is not judgmental or condemning
- It is not critical or suspicious
- It is not rebellious or Lone Ranger gift
- It is not the same as preaching
- It is not the same as exhortation
The gift of prophecy has been misunderstood or ignored and ridiculed. It is very sad because it is such a vital part of Scripture and should be a vital part of every Christians witness and walked. One of the major schemes of Satan has been to keep this gift hidden from the body of Christ. It is time for believers to step up and make a decision to believe what the word of God says and then do what the word of God says. The Bible is very clear on the importance of this gift for every believer.
- Explain three definitions of prophetic gift in relation to each category discussed in this lesson.
- Why are the manifestation gifts good for the body of Christ?
- Explain – “It always glorifies Jesus Christ and builds His kingdom.”
- How could what seems like the gift of prophecy become judgmental or critical?